Saturday, July 25, 2015

Reflection on "Son of God" movie (past assignment of mine)

I was looking through my homework from my sophomore year and I found this assignment which was to reflect on the movie "Son of God" that we watched in class. Hope you enjoy my reflection.

     I really enjoyed the movie Son of God and I think it did a good job of portraying the ministry and life of Jesus. After watching most of the movie, I felt guilty for my sins being one of main causes of Jesus’ death. I went to Stations of the Cross later one of the days and being able to connect the stations with the gospels and some scenes from the movie created really gave me a better understanding of Jesus’ love for us that he would suffer in order to save us from sin. The parts with the Sanhedrin and Caiaphas were interesting because we were able to see what they could’ve talked about. While watching the movie, I was able to reflect on some feelings that Jesus must’ve had while going through his last years on Earth. I didn’t like the actors and actresses very much, especially the person who portrayed the Virgin Mary.
     I don’t think this movie was exactly accurate and some lines from the gospels were adjusted, but I was still able to enjoy the movie. I felt that the first half had scenes with transitions that didn’t work very well, but during the second half, it seemed to get better. I think that the overall movie was a beautiful production and it seemed to be somewhat accurate with the gospels. Some things were put together such as the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector was when Jesus was calling Matthew to follow him. One thing I found intriguing was the fact that Jesus’ mother Mary had not followed him everywhere, but the second time we see her in the movie is when she is told that Jesus has returned.  I really liked the beauty of the film and especially the portrayal of the power of Jesus such as when Jesus met Barabbas.
     This movie made me appreciate the great sacrifice the Father made by sending his only Son for us. I think that everytime I consider doing something not right, I should remember that my sins cause a heavier cross for Jesus and they cause Jesus’ crucifixion. I enjoyed watching an interesting portrayal of Jesus’ life and the important parables and moments in the gospels. It was a great film that powerfully shows Jesus’ life and especially during his years of ministry. This film is one that I would want to watch again, and I think it’s great for the Lenten season!

No comments:

Post a Comment